Notice of Physical Closure, and Virtual Studio Opening
Dear NSDK Family,
Hello! Ms. Mary Beth here. As you know, the State of Alaska has closed schools and suspended extra-curricular activities until at least March 30th. In the interest of social responsibility and our student and staff’s health and safety, we have made the difficult decision to suspend in-person group lessons until at least Monday, March 30, although we anticipate this physical closure may last at least through April. Some private lessons or small groups may continue based on instructor availability and as long as current studio policies are followed. Our teaching faculty are caregivers and parents first, and while what we do best happens to be dance and tumbling, we are committed to the safety and welfare of all of our dancing families. We care about you!
We plan to suspend physical class meeting times and replace them with virtual class meeting times. We believe this is the best way to sustain your student’s growth and dance journey with as little interruption as possible. A shift to interactive online classes will allow our students to continue to learn, review their performance choreography and importantly, protect some normal schedules while parents are free to make dinner or tend other matters.
Thank you for joining us in these committed efforts, for your understanding and for staying connected with us in the days ahead. We care about our children and want them to retain healthy, positive attitudes in the face of adversity. They are listening to our words, watching our reactions and navigating some very adult concerns right now. Now more than ever, we believe they need connection and consistency.
Right now, our regularly scheduled Spring Break is currently ongoing. The studio email inbox will continue to be monitored and we encourage you to email email@example.com with any questions.
𝗪𝗘𝗘𝗞 of 𝟯/𝟮𝟯/𝟮𝟬
📌We will resume lessons on our ᴅɪɢɪᴛᴀʟ ᴘʟᴀᴛғᴏʀᴍ starting Monday, March 23. All details will be sent to you this week so please keep an eye on your email.
Watch your email for your Zoom tutorial video and instructions to log in to our LIVE online modified classes, which will begin Monday, March 23rd. You won’t want to miss this new experience! Once the Zoom launcher app is installed on your phone, iPad or desktop, you can log in to our google platform to attend each of your LIVE online classes! We will still be taking roll, for those dancers pursuing perfect attendance awards. This new method of connecting with our students is one example of how dance lessons continue to teach life lessons: Dancers are agile and look for solutions in the face of adversity.
- Using our Zoom platform, students may join via video or call in by phone, to be a part of their regular classes from the safety of home. Please make plans now to attend our 30-minute call in meeting this Friday at 3:30 so that you don’t miss a step with us! Students will be able to partake in any class being offered, which means they may get to dance even more often than usual! If students are unable to attend during the time the class takes place, all our classes will be housed in our google classroom, so students can attend at a different time at your convenience.
Furthermore, we’ll be offering some extra classes, like stretch or cardio classes in the mornings, for parents and students, and we encourage our NSDK parents to participate with their youngest dancers in your living room! We’ll be hosting some online talent shows, Q&A with your teachers and hopefully some professional dance and musical theatre performers as well.
- In addition, we are working to create a “Virtual Studio” where students and families can find online tutorials, fun activities, and connect with their teachers.
- Our studio spaces will be closed, but our offices will be open remotely for regular office hours Monday – Friday noon-5pm and Saturdays 9-noon. We are here for you via telephone, email, social media or messaging. We appreciate that technology allows us to continue operations and preparations for our upcoming performances, which are still scheduled for May 8th and 9th. Before Spring Break began, we had already begun discussions with Community Schools about pushing the production date out accordingly. We will take this one step at a time, and appreciate your flexibility and understanding.
- For those wondering about costumes, they will remain hanging and prepared for us when our photographer is ready to take our portraits.
- Regarding upcoming weekend rehearsals, we will need to evaluate in the next two weeks, what the next right step will be to hold any gatherings. We will be closely monitoring the progression of the COVID-19 virus in the state and Kodiak, and listening to directions from other community leaders and health care experts.
NSDK wants to lead the way in supporting decisions that provide safe and healthy spaces, whether in person or at home when our active dancers are feeling cabin feverish. If you choose to join our virtual dance classes, we understand you agree to do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself or others and agree to release Next Step Dance Kodiak and our agents from any and all claims or causes of action known or unknown arising from participation in virtual classes.
Our NSDK Team is working around the clock this week and weekend to prepare to meet you next week online! Our teachers are ready to partner with you for the next right step on the journey. In everything we do, we are striving to create and maintain a sense of community, continuity, and consistency. Our online dance classes will help our students know they can be analytical, thoughtful, and critical thinkers. It will teach them that “the show must go on” even when plans change or challenges arise. We are confident that online classes will keep them physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy while they are quarantined. Importantly, our classes will give them a sense of connection and community when they’re not seeing their friends, and it will help them maintain a sense of normalcy and routine while so much is happening around them.
Thank you for being such an important part of our family! Please reach out with any questions we can help to answer as we help you explore and discover our online dance transition solutions! See you soon in Zoom!
Virtual hugs, Ms. Mary Beth & your entire NSDK family